March 28, 2019

Dear class, here is Ashely’s and Samantha Henry’s creative blog.

Deadline Wednesday night 8pm.

Ashley:

Ashley Rojas
English 162W
March 24
         The smell of roasting corn instantly hits the nose and is unforgettable. Families making their way to the vendors with the money already in the hands ready to take the first bite of the corn. The smell of roasting animal fat completely takes over you. The buildings, take you back nearly 700 years into the past. The massive flag waving is unable to be missed. You stand in an empty lot filled with small booths of purple and orange. The lot is surrounded by richly ornate buildings with hundreds of years of history behind them. The sun is almost a spotlight that shines directly on this rich with flag with history. The rich white cottony clouds are incapable of hiding this spotlight of a sun. I walk a few steps to a bridge giving me a clear view of structures dating back to the times of the Aztec I look right at my feet at my beaten greyed shoes only to see that its clear glass and I’m looking down at the grey stepping stones of a pyramid that dates back 700 years. I turn my head and smile, day of the dead celebration has begun. We will now journey to the tombs of our loved ones and place a glass of water, bright and beautifully bloomed marigolds, and a loaf of bread.

1. 1) Though the times has changed, clearly, throughout the years, this day will remain timeless. Today is the day we do one thing, and that is to celebrate with all of us. I continue to wait for my little sister’s painting to finish and I see a familiar face. Though I cannot hear, I understand what it is trying to say as it moves it’s hands around. I smile and hear that my sister is done. She enters the room, turning white and freezing with food and flowers in her hand, she opens her mouth wide. I say with a smile, “Are you ready?”

2) Charles walks through the town heading towards the beach. A starry night, cool breeze. It would take a fool not to contemplate while walking in the sand. A local suddenly opens her window, a small child, yelling at Charles about something and making an x while shaking her head. Her mother quickly shuts the window and brings the child in. 3 hours into the vacation and Charles already gets yelled by a child. “Magnificent, I guess I’m not welcome here”, Charles thinks. As Charles walks through the sand, he tries to forget what happened in his past. Already having a bad day, he thinks that surely the gods couldn’t be so cruel, right? His own husky mysteriously disappearing. But never mind that. He wants to be completely blank today. Every step is smooth to the touch. “Three hundred fourty nine, three hundred fifty, three hundred fifty one” As Charles continues to count, he suddenly bumps into somebody. Somebody who wasn’t there before. An endless amount of sand, yet he was the only one there who would willingly go to the beach at the time. Everybody else seemed to be afraid for some reason. But this person, her intense gaze, beauty that Charles knew had no boundaries, beckons for Charles to come over. In a daze and drunk with sudden feelings of love, Charles gladly comes over. The woman caresses Charles’ cheek, leaning in and asking, “What is wrong, my dear?” As Charles opens his mouth, a sudden gunshot is heard. Snapping out of his daze and back into reality, he is confronted with an inhuman scream. He feels something oozing down his cheek, slime. He suddenly realizes that he is facing a monster. Charles screams, stumbling backward and starts to run towards the village. As he runs, he sees the little girl and the fear in her eyes. Her mother is running towards the little girl with a couple of people. They too see the monster and quickly sweeps the little girl off her feet and sprints to the village. Charles is confused. Filled with adrenaline, he doesn’t realize that he is coughing up water. He asked the people what was going on, thanking the little girl and giving her a hug of relief and heads back home. As he lays in bed, he is unable to shake off the sight that he has seen and can’t sleep. He suddenly sees a shadow approaching his room and hears a knock on the door. Suddenly, the same female phases through the door. Charles, unable to think, falls drunkenly in love again and follows her back towards the beach.

2. Response to Ashley,
    We used to come here all the time when I was a kid. My eyes gazed at all the colors; it was a magical sight. I used to run around the streets bumping into people’s knees, playing tag with my friends from the town until it got dark and we all went back to our families. As a kid I did not understand why we would visit the tombs, the people we visited I never met before so I was not sure with whom we were trying to connect.
    40 years later, I now watch my kids run around the streets with their friends, bumping into people knees. They have that same gaze in their eyes with all the excitement around them. I bring my children to the tombs with our offerings, telling them stories about their grandfather. They never met him but that is what this day it meant for.

3. Response to Samantha,

They do not appreciate the land as we do, they come here and take advantage of our paradise, only for a short time, they damage our land and use up all our resources. Nevertheless, once their vacation is over they do not look back and we have to clean up the messes they left. They bring us fortune, and help our economy but at what cost. Are we selling our dignity? They use our stories of the sea monster as a tourist attraction, poking fun at our beliefs. I count the day until the vacations months are over, and we can truly live as we wish.

4. — It’s a cool day with a breeze steadily flowing into the land from the sea. With every gentle gust of wind comes a new delicious scent. And with every turn around a corner, a new song is being sung with people cheering and dancing in the street. Vibrant colors draw your eyes to every inch of the town. It’s the kind of day and place that stimulates the senses and reminds you to stay present and in the moment. A perfect day to celebrate the memories of loved ones. Take it all in.
    ————————————————————
    — Its Spring Break and the town is bracing for the sudden influx of young tourists to their secluded slice of Earth. The kids call the town “Instagram-worthy”, a place to take the perfect selfies. They post with geotags and hashtags and constantly check back to see how many likes and compliments they’re receiving. Beautiful orange and pink sunset is beginning to disappear under the blanket of white sand and clear blue water. Everyone gets their phones out again to take a picture to upload, and by the time they look up from their phones, the sun is gone.

5. This is the celebration we all look forward to each year. I am in charge of face painting, while my sister prepares our costumes and my mother cooks traditional dishes for the rest of the family. Mama prepares her secret tamales. But before we head out into the street to eat more of the roasted corn, we all gather together at home, pray and remember the angels that have left us.

My island is very special to me and I have many stories to share about it. I see careless teens on spring break leave their trash behind, families lose their souvenirs on the sand, and the sea monster swallows it all up. The sea monster lives deep in the hole of the sea, disguised as a goddess, ready to take those that don’t care of her land. I’ve seen her once, she swept a group of spring breakers right off of their feet. One friend survived that night, and when she returns home from the island, no one will believe what happened to the rest of them.

6. 1. I been living in this town for so long but yet never pay attention how how beautiful & interesting this old building is. A great Saturday afternoon, my family came to town to visit. They wanted to go out but I been working all week so i was not in the mood to go out. My little cousin grab my arm and drag me outside, next thing I know we was driving all round the town. The whole town is out enjoying their day. We stoped at right in front of the old building. A lot of people was standing right in front of the building, vendors selling food and gifts, painters all around painting peoples face, a big flag waving, old classical musics are playing, kids are running and laughing. “What’s going on here”i asked a guy. “You don’t know? today is the celebration for the castle it’s been 700years since this building been built how you not know that” he said. I just moved around here not too long ago, there’s a lot i don’t know about this town. My family walk around with cups of frozen juice. Exploring the whole town. The clock on the Castle made a big noise and a group of people started to dance. It’s was so beautiful. We laughed, eat, sing. My little cousin got her face painted. Thank god I came out that day I had so much fun.

2. I live on this island. One day I was passing by with my grandma. We was coming down from the mountain. You may ask why are we coming down from the mountain? Well my grandma been climbing the mountain every Sunday to go pray. When I was born she started to bring me there with her. As a young kid I like climbing the brown mountains, passing by the very blue beautiful water, very green trees, under the sunny blue sky. While I was coming down from the mountain the sun was going down. I saw a big hole suddenly appear on the water. From that hole I saw a beautiful lady head looks human rest of the body l look like a fish. “grandma look a mermaid! ” i screamed. She quickly turn around to look at it as soon the hole disappeared the fish lady was gone. “ did you see it I said “. Yes I saw that’s the sea monster, she said calmly. “ “the sea monster” I repeated. Yes the sea monster is here to protect the water, she stated. Well if the sea monster is here to protect the water, why would it appear now when nobody is doing anything bad to the water. It doesn’t know that. It came out to make sure we not abuse, misuse, or overuse the water. You most take very care of nature and love and enjoy it my daughter, grandma said. When I die I want you to keep continue coming to the mountain. The sea monster won’t do anything to you as long to don’t do anything bad to the water. It’s been 3 years since grandma passed I still go to the mountain and I have a deeper love for nature now.

7. 1. Today the celebration is a memory that will stay in the minds of many generations. suddenly the street got crowds of people, some of them dress in particular attire. Woman with paint in their faces, colorful and shining dresses, and man with giant skull masks accompanied with a traditional suit that will represent our ancestors.
    The streets and its building changed in a one night of celebration, so bright and so beautiful that takes you back in time. This traditions makes this place alive with the feeling that time hasn’t move an inch and all the reminiscence of history are bones and songs from those who carry the memories of their families.

2. There is the story of a man with a broken soul and a broken mind. He was a lost cause and had chosen to live in the town for a short time. None knows his name but everyone heard the rumors of how he lost his heart in the waters. His house is untouched, even thought is a big house by the lake no one dares to go inside or build something next to it, The folks say that it is been bewitch by the goodness of the lake, some others say that the goodness killed him on his sleep and took his heart as price. None knows for sure what happened but is a fact that this place will lure people with bright lights and romantic scenery towards a disastrous ending .

8. 1. She stood by her tomb head waiting patiently for her child. Hoping that this year she would come. Last year she didn’t nor the year before or the year before, it had been a long time it hurt her but she understood. She wasn’t the best mother wasn’t there all the time but everything she did it for her child. She watched as the other families brought food and offerings. The sun was beginning to set maybe next time she though but as she was about to turn she felt her, her little girl. Though she was no longer little she looked so much like her. The young girl held the flowers in her hand and slowly lowered it to the tomb.
    Her eyes crystal clear as tears began to form. ‘ im sorry im sorry ‘ she mumbled lightly. But her mother understood she would always understand. She wanted to hold her tell her it was ok but she couldn’t. She did the best next thing she moved the falls and as she did the girl kneeled and cried harder.

2. She loved the story her grandfather told her. It was about the mysterious large creature living in the water. She wondered if she would ever see it. But her grandfather warned her that the creature wasn’t always nice, that it came from a hole in the see and if it didnt like you it would take you. But she didnt care she liked everything mysterious and adventure. So she stood by the water it was late she knew she would get in trouble by her parents but the thought or possibility that it would show up tonight was too much excitement. So she waited for the larger mysterious creature every night hoping to see it one day

9. 1)As my family and I tred upon the path to our beloved deceased relative’s grave, a certain feeling of serenity seems to engulf us. As we travel upon the road leading to the cemetery, and I begin to think of those before who traveled with the same purpose. We honor those who we loved who have died, praying upon their spiritual journey and its success while we continue upon our own life paths. A moment in time where we get to stop and reflect upon life and its many intricacies. We travel along this road to a grave, just as in life we take paths and travel all with the same final destination.

2)The beauty which is present throughout the island is correlated directly with the resiliency of nature. The environment has a sort of purity, unaltered by the residents who act as protectors of their beauteous land. The setting is a sight to see, which is why tourists flock to the island during it’s prime season. They fall into the trap of deception. The sea monster which masquerades as a goddess, lures the tourists unbeknownst to them that the goddess protects the island for she is a part of the nature.

10. Response to Ashley:
    After placing the loaf of bread on the graves, our families join in prayer. We also light candles to light the way for our loved ones spirits. We then all share stories and old memories before heading back to the town for the town festivities. Everyone is dressed in costumes along with traditional day of dead masks. Lot’s of the deceased favorite foods & music to honor them. Dia de los muertos is a day of celebrating our deceased friends, families and loved ones. It is not a day of sadness. We must remember to always think of those special moments we treasure with our loved ones and celebrate them.

Response to Samantha:
    During spring break many college students thought it would exciting to visit this mysterious island they’ve heard so many stories of. They’ve heard recent stories of tourist gone missing. The images of the island are so breathtaking that they find the stories they’ve heard to be impossible. As young adults of course they will not listen to advice and do the opposite. They are determined to get to the bottom of the disappearances on this island. They head to island and wait fir night to fall so that they can face whatever supposed monster is out there. As the stories go there in fact was a goddess that lured the the group into a cave. Once inside the cave shut and the frightened teens began screaming and crying. Would they survive or would they die…

11. Ashley:

The townspeople way their way to the tombs and graveyards. Form affair the decent of the town is a river of light that overtakes the once somber and gray graveyards. The town people find the graves of their loved ones and clean off this year weathers ware. Weeds are pulled away, leaves brushed off and dirt washed off. Vaes of flowers, candled and offers to there loved ones are placed with care. The usual calm darkness gives way to the golden glow of a field full of candles. The mournful somber mood of a graveyard is now hard to find, for everywhere you look the town people celebrate the life that was lived, the lives being lived and the hope of life that is yet to be.

Samantha:
    The rainy season is almost over. It’s the time of year where the island is mostly free of visitors. Where locals can travel to different parts of the island without much hassle, the beaches are quiet, and most of the restaurant and cafes are closed. The ever-reliable morning and afternoon thunderstorms keep the air on the island heavy with moisture. Making any outside task more tiresome than during the dry season. This is the time for the island just be it’s own. No need to cater to the visitors, no fake smiles, fake greetings in their native language to complete the illsution of the exotic paradise. The island is just home for the people who live under her stars and find comfort in her storms.

12. 1. Once a year the day of the dead comes around which is not a day to mourn but to celebrate one’s life on this earth. Everyone gathers here at this ancient palace to sing songs, light candles and have a good time. I remember seeing bright costumes and skulls everywhere. Each family had their own unique way of showing their respect to the deceased. It was a great sight to view and hope that the coming generations will have a chance to take part in this grand celebration.

2. This island is great for relaxing and having a great fun time. People come and go from here feeling like they went to a magical place. At first when you enter this place you will feel all of your stress and problems go away. Your view consists of a clear blue ocean on a sandy beach. The resort welcomes all of their customers in with open arms. Whoever goes there wishes that the trip never ends.

13. As my family and i walk to the cemetery the white cottony clouds that were up in the sky were slowly shifting away being replaced by some very dark ones giving the sense that rain was on its way, but rain is not stopping us from visiting grandpa’s tomb. The cemetery was way too lonely, which was strange because on the day of the dead almost everyone from town spends the day here. As we walk through one of the many paths between the tombs, surprised and confused wondering where everyone might be, we see an old man that resembles grandpa sitting on a white chair right next to my grandpa’s tomb. From the excitement and illusion we rushed to him to see if it was him, but then … i woke up from what i realized was a dream and the day of the dead was just about to begin.
    When i finally talked to someone about the mysterious sea monster, was when one day i was walking through the beach to watch the sun set and i passed by a man that seemed to be waiting for something. Since it was just me and him around i decided to approach him and ask him in a friendly way ”Hey, what you doing out here on your own?” ”Waiting for her” he responded without even taking a look at who was talking to him. He went on to tell me that one day he went for a walk on the beach and he met a woman that he fell in love with on that same day that they met, after spending hours with him that day on the beach she suddenly said she had to go and rushed into the water and disappeared. He says ever since that day he doesn’t know why but his body and his mind always tell him and make him go to the beach and wait for her around the same time. To him she wasn’t a sea monster.

1. 1)As my family and i walk to the cemetery the white cottony clouds that were up in the sky were slowly shifting away being replaced by some very dark ones giving the sense that rain was on its way, but rain is not stopping us from visiting grandpa’s tomb. The cemetery was way too lonely, which was strange because on the day of the dead almost everyone from town spends the day here. As we walk through one of the many paths between the tombs, surprised and confused wondering where everyone might be, we see an old man that resembles grandpa sitting on a white chair right next to my grandpa’s tomb. From the excitement and illusion we rushed to him to see if it was him, but then … i woke up from what i realized was a dream and the day of the dead was just about to begin.
      2)When i finally talked to someone about the mysterious sea monster, was when one day i was walking through the beach to watch the sun set and i passed by a man that seemed to be waiting for something. Since it was just me and him around i decided to approach him and ask him in a friendly way ”Hey, what you doing out here on your own?” ”Waiting for her” he responded without even taking a look at who was talking to him. He went on to tell me that one day he went for a walk on the beach and he met a woman that he fell in love with on that same day that they met, after spending hours with him that day on the beach she suddenly said she had to go and rushed into the water and disappeared. He says ever since that day he doesn’t know why but his body and his mind always tell him and make him go to the beach and wait for her around the same time. To him she wasn’t a sea monster.

14. 1. Shades of grey and black is all you see once you gaze upon this building. There is no feeling of life at all, just emptiness. The giant clock on the top stopped working years ago, legend has it that the clock ceased to move since the original owner of this building died. The halls of the building remain hollow showing no signs of life. But beneath this building lies “The Caverns”. In the caverns you can find all kinds of tombs/graves. The caverns are dark of course and you can faintly hear the wails of the ghosts that haunt it. Occasionally you would be able to see a spirit roaming the caverns trying to find its way out but there is no hope.

2. No one can deny the sense of serenity this place brings. The oceans give off a nice soothing breeze that feels amazing during times of extreme heat. Plenty of people relax on the beach and enjoy the change of pace from their hectic jobs. But this walkway is only known to the regulars of the town. Its a great spot to just walk down and reflect on life. At the end of the walkway there is just a breathtaking sight of the clear blue waters and the small town filled with tourists that have no clue about this walkway. Its just you and your thoughts trying to figure out what is the true meaning to life?

15. Ashley Rojas:
    I take more mental pictures than I do of real ones because for it to be engraved in my memory, I feel, is most important and deeper purpose of this visit. The radiating warmth of the sun rays is a perfect temperature to match the savory aromas flooding my senses and teasing my taste buds. I think about this land’s history and if its people ever thought centuries later, folks would rejoice over it. In a way I feel at peace knowing that something happened for this to now exist in the world and years later being able to see it. To respect it and appreciate it celebrate it. I’m taking in this moment with ease since my overwhelming emotions may cloud the ability to capture the true essence and beauty of this place. I hope to return soon.

Samantha Henry:
    There is deeper a silenced myth that follows the eerie story of the legendary hole in the sea. The natives of the island call upon the spirits of the land’s nature to grant them with a thicker and lusher barricade. This barricade is a formation of intertwined vines and shifted boulders that grow every time the locals perform a protection ceremony calling on the spirits. The spirits would protect what some may call The Tree of Life that essentially keeps the land fertile and fruitful. All this was not necessarily intended to keep foreigners away from the island but to keep them from wandering and possibly discovering the true secrets as to why the island maintains its vibrant and lively beauty year-round. The ceremonies have been done annually securing their bountiful harvest for over 10,000 years, thus protecting themselves via land and sea.

16. Response to Ashley:
    This house takes me back to my hometown where I grew up. It was Jayner and Michelle’s house and every time we would all hangout they would bring up stories about their creepy looking house. The stairs would creek when no-one was home and the lights would flicker from time to time. They talked about it like it was normal to them. I would crench my body and bite my nails while hearing these stories being told. This house was full of secrecy, something happened in this house but no one knows what “really” happened here. This was a house that as soon as you walk in its like the cold air walks pass your path and your whole body freezes up. The feeling is unforgettable especially that night, this house gave me the creeps and it wanted to reveal something to us. we all feared that house, the presence there. One day I couldn’t bear to go back in, so i stayed outside.

Response to Samantha Henry:
    It’s summer time, the kids are out of school, they’re yelling and screaming kicking the sand upon peoples faces. As I gaze upon the beautiful scenery I can see the jet skies racing through the wind, I can hear the waves and the birds chirping. The sun is glancing on my body as I lay on my beach towel. The sounds of the waves getting closer to my feet has to be the best feeling. This beach is very special to me, I’ve brought memorable people with me and experienced memorable moments. you can see people playing volleyball, and everyone is enjoying themselves. Today is a good day, for once no-ones looking at their cellular devices.

17. The day of the dead has also been a family tradition for many years. Every year we all look forward to this celebration. The day of the dead is a Mexican holiday that is widely celebrated, it’s a day to remember deceased relatives for a brief reunion. On this day the whole town was flooded with flowers, the sweet scent of bread, and everyone making sugar skulls. It’s been almost two years since my grandmother had passed away, I remember every year we would hand make the sweet bread and share it with our neighbors. Even though she is no longer here, but I came almost feel her presence.

Last summer I and my friends had been planning to go on this tropical vacation to Bora Bora. We all were very excited to go on this trip because it’s mystic views, clear blue waters, and warm weather all year round. It was the perfect vacation that we all needed. There have been many tales about this island how there’s a hole in the sea and in it a sea monster disguised as a goddess to lure those walking on the beach with her magnificent beauty and charming personality. We were all very fascinated to see if the tales were true. One of the nights we were all together on the beach on a late night walk. It was too dark to tell, but I had seen her. She had long blonde hair but had her face covered. It was too hard to tell what she exactly looked like.

18. The Day of the Dead is a traditional holiday celebrated each year featuring the same vendors serving mainly meat and some corn. After the vendors set up their stations, the smell of roasting far hit the air. Right after the vendors began serving festival goers, the protestors arrived with pitchforks to interfere and stop all festival goers from purchasing any food. The protestors screamed, “Don’t eat the meat, you’ll all die too” and nobody will be there to mourn you. The protestors were all vegan and wanted to stop killing animals, they mourn the dead but not the animals that just aren’t festival food.

The sea monster killed and lured people in but people who retold the story of how they managed to escape or telling of how they witnessed people died missed the details of why she was killing people to start. People entering were disruptive and interferes in her land, and when she wanted peace they didn’t bother to listen especially because she was a monster they just came ignoring her warning signs to leave her be.